Meringue Snack Cookies

I first ate the 'regular' version of these cookies at a party. I told my husband they were my dream cookie and went home and googled them. Actually, I think I googled them on the way home. Here is the recipe that inspired my 'real-food' version - Chocolate Corn Flake Meringue Cookies.



These are delicious and crunchy, slightly chewy, dessert, snack, or breakfast cookies. I like to use maple syrup instead of sugar so I can call them a 'snack' instead of dessert. (wink) There is still sugar in the chocolate chips, of course - but you can leave those out. (Crazy!) I think I'll do that once in awhile for the boys so they can eat them later in the day and not be kept awake from the caffeine. I love meringues, so I added extra egg whites. Since these use maple syrup instead of sugar, they take longer to bake, but it...is...worth...it...


Meringue Snack Cookies
4 egg whites
1/2 cup maple syrup
dash of salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup organic corn flakes (optional - if skipping, add more nuts and/or coconut; use gluten-free if necessary)
1/2 cup raw pecan pieces (soaked and dehydrated if desired)
1/2 cup chocolate pieces or chips (we use Enjoy Life - dairy-free, soy-free)  
Mix egg whites gently until they start thickening, then at high speed until foamy. Add maple syrup, salt, vanilla extract, and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form. 
Gently fold in the corn flakes, coconut, pecans, and chocolate pieces.  
Drop on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet in whatever size you prefer (see note below) and bake at 325° F for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned. Turn the oven off and leave the cookies in. Do not remove the pan until the oven is completely cooled.

Note: If you make large cookies, you will have to turn the oven down to 200° F for 30 minutes to an hour before turning it off and leaving the cookies in. Otherwise, the cookies will still be soft inside and will fall apart.



And this is why you should use parchment paper...


Store in an airtight container.




Thanks for reading! Happy eating!
-- Christine


Comments

Popular Posts